spritz

Spritz: New App Could Change Reading Forever

Courtesy of smh.com/au

Courtesy of spritz.com

The simple act of reading a book has already been revolutionized by technology. From the invention of the printing press to audio consoles and e-readers, novels have gotten quite the face lift in recent years.

Now, reading is being re-imagined once again.

Several weeks ago, Boston-based technology company Spritz announced it has been secretly working on a new application for three years which aims to develop speed-reading habits in consumers.

Here’s how it works: According to Spritz, the human eye and brain spends 80% of its energy moving the eyeball to read a sentence. The other 20% of the energy is used to comprehend what is written. Eyes skim over a sentence, comprehending a word based on its Optimal Recognition Point (ORP). The Spritz app highlights this section of the word on the slim screen, called a redicle. The app starts out slow (typically around the average reading speed of 250 words a minute) and can be adjusted to flash words at you at a rate of up to 1,000 words a minute, all without physically moving your eye.

How fast is 1,000 words a minute? Think of it this way: that Harry Potter book sitting on your bookshelf can be finished in just over an hour. Or, you could knock out this article in 22 seconds.

“We’re reinventing the way people read by eliminating the obstacles associated with traditional reading on mobile devices,” said Co-Founder and CEO Frank Waldman in a statement. “As smart devices continue to change shape and become increasingly smaller, Spritz enables users to read comfortably and conveniently. Our technology can be used to read emails, text messages, social media streams, maps or web content and can be integrated onto any mobile device – the options are almost limitless. Reading has never been easier, more efficient or more effective.”

Not only that, but recent studies have shown stronger reading comprehension in those who used the application.

Spritz executives say the new app will be exclusively released for Samsung Galaxy technology, including the forthcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone and Gear 2 smartwatch.

Want a taste of the app? Follow this link and select the button in the top right corner that says “Click to Spritz”.

Advertisements